Friday, March 13, 2009

Gaming trends

First thing I'd like to say is that the new Facebook look is quite obnoxious! The home page has so much coming at the user and it's a little overwhelming. The idea that you can now see everything that anyone says to a friend is a interesting feature. The new [>] arrow feature instead of saying "Mikee has wrote:" is another feature I don't understand. It is the first day of using the new look but these are all my first impressions.

Now for my main rant/debate that has been in my head. It's Friday the 13th today and you know what that means. Bad luck! and Resident Evil 5 comes out today! The main hook of the game is that it's a Resident Evil game with Co-op done right! In about 20 minutes or so, I'll be playing it so I'll post some impressions of it! But to my rant. When I use to game back on the Sega Gensis or even on Windows 95 era, it was all single player centered games. Granted, there were others but for the most part, it was all about the single player experience. Soon later, the multiplayer age rolled into effect. Games like Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six, Mech Warrior 4:Vengence (MSN gaming zone!) and many others came to play. Here we are in the later years of the good ol' 2000's and we're going into the co-op game trend. My question is this, what's next? What will be the biggest improvement on? Will it be the game to site networking? Games like Killzone 2, Halo 3, Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 all lead back to a online account on a website. Where you can track kills, talk on forums and much more. Will this become more mainstream? Will the feature of split screen multiplayer ever come back? Just think of what you think of when you think of Multiplayer? Ask me when I was in middle school, and I would have been Counter-Strike or Nightfire splitscren on the PS2.


PS2's game cover for the game Nightfire

It's what I love about this type of industry. The idea that how rapidly the times have changed for gaming and what features we all know / love.

/end rant

EDIT: This video helps remind me of the split screen multiplayer of James Bond:Nightfire!

No comments: